Saturday 8 November 2014

Recipe: Gluhwein (mulled wine)

When we lived in Germany winter for me was the best time of the year.
My Mam and Dad ensured we enjoyed the local culture and we experienced alot of different foods at local Markets and festivals, this was fantsatic especially in the snow as Dad made me and my Sister Mandy bespoke sledges, these turned out to be some of the fastest sledges in the camp and they went everywhere with us.

Anyone that knows me will tell you i love the simple things in life and have done since i was little, Bockwurst, Bratwurst, Currywurst and Frikadeller are what i would call the foods of my childhood.

Winter for most people is dull, wet and depressing. For me its about bringing back memories that i love. If you have ever been lucky enough to experience a German market you will understand what i mean.

When i was young we used to hang around wooden huts in a market squares, watch the man cook sausages over open coals and smell the most amazing smells on a winter evening, a child eating a Bratwurst with semi stale bread and mustard out of a cardboard take away tray was nothing unusual, even more special when you got Paprika chips to go with them.

Now a grown man life has moved on and changed in so many ways, My family are growing up and lifes busy!

One thing that has never changed is my love of Gluhwein and speciality sausages. Zoe my wife being half Swiss shares my passion and its great that i can share my childhood memories with her.

Today i would like to share a recipe that i have used for many a year, on a winters evening we enjoy lighting the wood burner roasting chestnuts and sharing a Gluhwein

This recipe is one that has been used, adapted and we like the balance of flavours it delivers, although it may not be to everyones taste. The good thing about this is you can alter the recipe until it is right for you.


1 bottle red wine
1 cinnamon stick
Fresh grated nutmeg
75g brown sugar
1 orange, sliced
1 dried bay leaf
Four cloves
Pour the wine in a pan and add all of the ingredients, bring to the boil and simmer.
Pour the Gluhwein into glasses and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.