Monday 7 October 2013

Home grown...

After being out and about with the family sourcing home grown produce this summer I have realised how alive allotments and home grown gardens really are. Having spent a lot of time with my neighbour Jeff and father in law Sepp, I have come to realise how passionate people are about their plots of land, whether it be in a allotment community or a the top of their garden.

When you take the time to have a cuppa from the potting shed and a chat about the reasons people grow their own food it becomes apparent that it all boils down to one thing, fresh and healthy produce with no food miles, these people are dedicated. It’s also about stress release, people appreciate the peace whilst pulling weeds and harvesting their crops. Being a chef with a busy lifestyle I can understand the thought process involved in ‘being away from it all’.

So the thought process goes on! I have a lot of room at the top of the garden, the roof of the garage would make a great place to grow my own. Being a Dad I now have my daughter Lillie and her brother Fynn involved. Jeff is the expert so an opinion has been given and yes it’s possible and is deemed to be a great idea. Having taking a lot of time talking about it this winter will see the construction begin on my very own inner-city roof garden, Lillie has made her list of what is required and Fynn will be project manager, that leaves me to do all the hard work!

This project will bring a lot of changes to the Jameson house hold, the kids and I are all very excited, the thought of walking to the top of the garden for fresh produce puts a huge smile on my face and next summer will reward us for our hard work. As it’s going to be a family affair Jeff’s advice for planting with the kids is:




• Give them their own piece of land
• Allow them to be creative
• Give them clothes they can get dirty in
• Allow them to come and go when they feel the need
• Be patient and grow produce and knowledge together

So in summary there’s a bit of work to be done, a lot of dedication going to be put in and having an expert next door will be a bonus to the family of novices that are looking to change to an even healthier lifestyle than we have now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.