Friday 11 October 2013

My love for Beetroot..

The beetroot plant “Beta Vulgaris” can grow in a number of soils, Beetroot evolved from the wild sea beet which is a native of coast lines from India to Britain Today beetroot is common throughout Europe, it is extensively used in Eastern European & Russian cuisine. Today many varieties are available;

Albino
Bull’s blood
Golden
Detroit dark red
Early wonder
Red ace hybrid
Ruby queen
Touchstone Gold



 
In my kitchens I use a lot of beetroot for it’s a good source of carbohydrates, good source of protein, contains high levels of vitamins, minerals & micro-nutrients, practically no fat and no cholesterol. I use a number of varieties of beetroot for a number of dishes and today and I would like to share a soup recipe that I often use. This recipe was found one day I was pondering my cook book collection whilst cooking dinner for the family, although it is not one of my own recipes I do feel it is a success in its own rights.

Beetroot Soup

Ingredients

1 tablespoon light olive oil
3 ounces onion
6 ounces carrot
1 medium parsnips
0.50 teaspoon ground coriander
2 pints vegetable stock 12 ounces beetroot
4 teaspoons dill
1 pomegranate
4 teaspoons yogurt
2 tablespoons walnut pieces

Method

Heat the oil in a saucepan, then sweat the onion, carrot and parsnip for 5 minutes, until starting to soften. Add the stock and beetroot. Bring to the boil, and then simmer for 20 minutes, adding 2 teaspoons dill for the final 2 or 3 minutes. Cut the pomegranate in half and extract the juice using a lemon squeezer. Blend the soup in a food processor or blender. Add pomegranate juice to taste. Reheat the soup, then served garnished with the yogurt, walnuts and remaining dill.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.