Wednesday 30 September 2015

An Old friend, one i will never forget.

 
23 years ago I met a man I will never forget, he was a retired chef from Switzerland.

Our first meeting was at Sepp’s house, I was the young man his daughter had been going out with for a while, an Englishman that stood out like a sore thumb in Northern Ireland.

At the time we met, Zoe my now wife was on holiday with her friends, flights had been delayed hence her not being home when I arrived.

Sepp was a gentleman I was invited in to wait, this was an experience in its self, I wasn’t offered coffee or tea I was given a glass of wine in a clay cup, and this was shortly followed by cheese fondue, this was Sepp’s form of hospitality.

Over the years myself and Sepp formed a bond that was very special, we both loved food, we both loved wine, we both loved home grown produce and most of all we both thought the world of Zoe and the beautiful two children she brought into the world.

Sepp’s life wasn’t easy but he gave all he had to ensure his family were cared for, he was a fantastic granddad to Lillie and Fynn and will always be part of their lives.

Early September 2015 we endured a very sad day, in the early hours Sepp lost a long battle with cancer and passed away.

Over the past few months Zoe, myself and the kids have supported each other to get through this very difficult time, emotions are still high but we survive day by day, Sepp is a huge loss and always in the front of our minds.

Last time I was in Northern Ireland I managed to sort through some of Sepp’s culinary history, menus he had devised when he was a head chef, recipes he had used and trophies he had won, the man was one of the best in his field when he was younger, a chef I have always looked up to and respected.

Over the next few months I would like to share some of his recipes (Sepp loved the blog and what it stands for) they may be old but they are classics that every chef should have in their collection.

So watch this space, Sepp’s memory will go on and his culinary talent will be shared for you all to enjoy.


Sepp Zwahlen

A good cook is the peculiar gift of the gods.
                                 He must be a perfect creature from the brain to the palate,
                                                   from the palate to the finger's end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.